Permanent part-time. Est 22-28 hours per week. Flexible work arrangements available.
The Assistant Accountant works with the General Manager to provide a professional service to our law firm in relation to accounts administration. Our firm relies on this role to provide data integrity, responsive service, and a proactive approach to continually improving the efficiency of our processes.
The role works closely with a fulltime Accounts Clerk.
Willingness to undertake further study (eg CPA or CIMA program) is not essential, but may be beneficial.
Please note: If you are already CPA/CA/CIMA qualified then we consider that you are overqualified for this role.
- Has bookkeeping and payroll experience (professional services experience is highly regarded)
- Interested in building a career in a professional services firm
- Proactive and keen to learn new skills
- Possess a curious mind, together with good time management skills and a disposition to provide fabulous customer service
- Confident to propose solutions to a diverse range of problems
Specific knowledge requirements
- Familiarity with the Legal Profession Act, specifically as it applies to trust accounting requirements
- Possesses (or is willing to acquire) a mastery of our practice management system (LexisNexis’ Affinity), and advanced Excel functions
Duties and responsibilities
- Answer staff and client queries related to trust accounts and debtor balances
- Accounts receivable follow-up with clients and partners
- Fortnightly payroll preparation (including payroll tax lodgement, answering employee queries, year end reconciliations)
- Month end expense accruals and analysis of cost variances
- Month end balance sheet reconciliations and review: accruals and prepayment amortisation, etc.
- Assist General Manager with cashflow forecasting and monthly management reporting to the partnership
- Contribute to process improvement initiatives and projects (particularly in relation to billing and collections processes)
- Quarterly BAS return lodgement and monthly IAS lodgements
- Convene a quarterly PA roundtable forum, set agenda, do minutes
- Other tasks and ad hoc reporting, forecasting and analysis as required by General Manager from time to time