Date: Wednesday, 2 August 2017
Time: Morning (2 separate streams): 8.45am – 1.15pm Afternoon (2 separate seminars): 2.00pm – 5.15pm
Venue: Parmelia Hilton, 14 Mill Street, Perth
Following sell-out seminars in the eastern states, LawSense School Law is now in WA, featuring tailored morning streams for State and Non-State Schools and the inaugural and unique School Sports Law Workshop.
The WA program includes the WA Industrial Relations Commission, 13 expert lawyers and school representatives to provide you with practical insight and guidance in dealing with pressing school issues.
With legal issues and risks constantly arising in relation to both students and staff, it is essential that educators keep abreast of current legal updates and insight and understand how to implement practical solutions. School Law seminars provide comprehensive information delivered by some of the best legal experts in Australia, to help you clarify and address legal issues and risks at the school coalface.
Kott Gunning Lawyers Special Counsel Mike Baldwin will present the following session –
Understanding and Defending Staff Adverse Action Claims
- Examining the Fair Work Act general protections for employees:
- what constitutes a ‘workplace right’ including ‘an inquiry or complaint in the employee’s employment’
- understanding when a school is taking ‘adverse action’ against an employee
- the reverse onus of proof – what requirements does a school need to meet to defend an adverse action claim and what sort of evidence is needed?
- examining what penalties, damages and other orders a school could be exposed to
- Understanding how discrimination claims under the general protections provision apply and differ from anti-discrimination laws.
- Reviewing learnings from education case studies and scenarios
Mike Baldwin, Special Counsel, Leader Employment and Workplace Safety Practice, Kott Gunning Lawyers
For more information and to register please visit the School Law WA event page.