Date: Friday, 22 March 2019
Time: 9.00am to 1.15pm
Venue: Parmelia Hilton, 14 Mill Street, Perth
Attend and earn 4 CPD points in Competency Area 4: Substantive Law
The many risks directors and officers need to manage seems to increase with each passing year as the consequences for failure grow ever more dire. Ensure you or your clients remain in the good graces of the Board and protect your clients, your organisation or yourself by keeping up to date on the latest obligations related to work health and safety, professional liability, insurance and more.
Chair: Greg Mohen, Partner, Kott Gunning Lawyers
9.00am to 10.00am Director Duties: Asleep at the Wheel or Corporate Psychopath?
A legal, psychological and personal commentary on corporate governance risk including:
- Director duties under the Corporations Act
- The sleeping giant of self-interest
- Waking to a world of consequence
10.00am to 11.00am Boardroom Blitz: Understanding Personal and Corporate Work Health and Safety Duty, Obligation, Risk and Liability
- Key duties and obligations imposed on directors and officers under work health and safety laws, and particularly the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1984 (WA)
- The extent of director and officer risk and liability for work health and safety, and examining the interplay of specific roles and relationships in the workplace including employer-employee, principal-contractor and body corporate-management
- Fair Work risk and liability, being director and officer risk and liability under the Fair Work Act 2009(Cth) an outline of some broad areas of risk, whether specifically relating to work health and safety matters or otherwise, and includes commentary on accessorial liability
- What is safety ‘due diligence’? What is the appropriate due diligence to manage Fair Work risk and liability? Some best practice tips to minimise personal and corporate risk
11.00am to 11.15am Morning Tea
11.15am to 12.15pm Current Issues in Professional Liability: An Update on Significant Cases and Developments
- What is a professional?
- The professional standards schemes and limitations of liability
- The fallout from the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry
12.15pm to 1.15pm Early Settlement of Disputes
A discussion about the options available to directors and officers to settle disputes at an early stage, with a particular focus on mediation techniques and strategies.
For more information and to register, visit the Legalwise event webpage.