Bachelor of Laws, Curtin University (2018)
Graduate Certificate in Australian Migration Law & Practice (2016)
Bachelor of Commerce, Curtin University (2003)
Melanie is a lawyer in Kott Gunning’s Insurance and Risk Practice Group. She was admitted as a legal practitioner in 2019 and commenced working in plaintiff personal injury in the areas of motor vehicle accident claims, workers compensation, medical negligence, and criminal injuries compensation. She then moved to defendant personal injury practicing solely in motor vehicle accident claims throughout 2020 and into 2021.
Prior to being admitted to legal practice, Melanie worked as a Migration Agent for six years. She also has previous experience in Public Relations and Marketing across the diverse areas of arts, sport, tourism and hospitality.
Melanie is also a Justice of the Peace.
Melanie is experienced in:
- Preparing and writing legal advice for the Insurance Commission of Western Australia and Allianz Australia, including initial quantum and liability assessments;
- Review and summarises Plaintiff medical documents, clinical notes and reports, outlining the Plaintiff’s medical history, current issues and symptomology;
- Prepare Briefs to Counsel and Expert Witnesses;
- Prepare court documents: Defenses, Interrogatories, Consent Orders and Discovery Statements of Claim, List of Documents, Chamber Summons, Affidavits;
- Prepare Subpoenas to obtain documents to review to advance a matter and/or provide the ability to update an initial advice and direct legal opinion;
- Prepare and deliver in-house CPD sessions;
- Monthly trust accounting and annual trust reconciliation; and
- Provide migration and visa advice.
- Law Society of Western Australia
- Australian Lawyers Alliance