Brenton joined Kott Gunning as a Consultant in 2011, bringing with him extensive experience across a variety of legal areas including commercial law, property law, local government law and commercial litigation.
Prior to his admission Brenton held senior roles in the shipping and transport industry where he worked in waterfront operations, the global management of shipping line resources and the oversight of regional engineering facilities.
Brenton has advised both private and public companies in relation to commercial agreements including construction contracts, contracts for the supply of goods and services, land sale contracts, management agreements, mortgages, PPSA and securities, powers of attorney and licensing agreements.
His experience also includes:
- Advising Local Governments with respect to land use, planning, procurement, compliance, statutory interpretation, governance and complex contracts.
- Advising property developers with respect to land use matters including the preparation of sub divisional contracts, leases, licenses, easements, restrictive covenants and management statements.
- Advising banks and credit providers on securities, risk and the PPSA.
- Advising public and private companies on Corporations Act compliance and governance.
- Appearing as Counsel in all Western Australian State Courts, the Federal Court and a variety of state tribunals including the State Administrative Tribunal on a broad range of matters including breach of contract, Trade Practices Act, negligence, breach of statutory duty, specific performance, company winding up, injunctive and prerogative relief.
- Presenting legal papers to the profession and clients on implied contractual terms including the duty to act in good faith in contract negotiations, on unfair contracts legislation, on issues relating to the enforcement of land sale contracts, on leasing crown land, on the Corruption and Crime Commission Act and on the effect of amalgamation on Local Government.
- Law Society of Western Australia
- Property Council of Western Australia