University of Western Australia – Juris Doctor (2016), College of Law – Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice (2017)
Dan is a lawyer in Kott Gunning’s Insurance and Risk Practice Group. He has worked both for plaintiffs and defendants, with his background in injury rehabilitation providing him with a practical understanding of recovery timeframes.
Prior to becoming lawyer, Dan was an Accredited Exercise Physiologist (AEP) with Exercise & Sport Science Australia (ESSA). In that role, Dan gained experience in both the Western Australian and Victorian workers’ compensation schemes.
Dan volunteered on a regular basis at the Fremantle Community Legal Centre whilst completing his law studies and assisted with family law, domestic violence and residential tenancy matters. He also obtained litigation experience with an international commercial firm as part of a clerkship opportunity in 2016.
Since his admission to the legal profession in November 2017, Dan has worked in the areas insurance litigation areas of workers’ compensation, common law liability and motor vehicle insurance (both third party and private vehicle insurance).
Dan is experienced in
- Advising on liability and quantum, including potential legal issues that may arise, from both the plaintiff and defendant perspectives;
- Preparing submissions for the Assessor of Criminal Injuries Compensation;
- Advising clients in preparation for informal settlement negotiations as part of the civil claim procedure in the District Court of Western Australia;
- Appearing in the District Court and Magistrates Court of Western Australia;
- Briefing counsel and preparing for trials in the District Court of Western Australia.
- Law Society of Western Australia
- The Australian Insurance Law Association