Bachelor of Science (H&S) Curtin University
Master of Human Resources and Law (MHR&Law) Newcastle University Law School
Mike provides WHS, employment and risk management expertise within the Kott Gunning Safety & Employment team. He has 25 years’ experience as a risk management professional with skills in Work Health & Safety (WHS), Workers’ Compensation & Injury Management (WCIM), Human Resources (HR), Public Safety & Liability, Security and Risk Management. Prior to business life, Mike served as a soldier and medical specialist with the Australian Army Special Air Service (SAS) Regiment including service with the national counter-terrorism Tactical Assault Group (TAG). He then went on to take up senior roles in human resources, safety and risk management with several global companies including Marsh Insurance & Risk; Pfizer pharmaceuticals and Gallagher insurance, which acquired Mike’s RiskLink consulting business in 2016.
Mike has broad experience across a number of industries including oil and gas, mining, construction, manufacturing, retail, government, health, property, and transport. He also has experience in franchising, event management, joint ventures and partnering, and contracting arrangements. Mike’s experience and skill set includes the following areas:
- Workplace Risk – Business and enterprise risk management, emergency management, crisis management, business continuity and recovery.
- Work Health and Safety (WHS) – Compliance, investigations, audits and inspections, due diligence, accident prevention, safety regulator representation, training and information, system and policy development, hazard mitigation advice.
- Workplace Relations – Human resources, employment matters, contractor arrangements, FairWork and WAIRC representation, dispute resolution, training and information.
- Workers’ Compensation – Insurance representation, claim mitigation, premium reduction, WorkCover representation, insurer and broker liaison, audits and investigations, training and information.
- Acquisition & Divestment – Due diligence acquisition and divestment audits and reviews, verification of safety regulator enforcement history and outstanding matters, advice and assistance.
Community / Volunteer Work
Mike is a crewman with Department of Fire & Emergency Services (DFES) Marine Rescue Service (Fremantle), and is an appointed independent member of the DFES Commissioner’s Work Health & Safety Governance Committee.
- Member of Risk Management Institute of Australasia (RMIA).
- Certified Work Health & Safety Professional (COHSP) Australian Institute of Health and Safety (AIHS).
- Member of Australian Human Resources Institute (AHRI).