John is an experienced lawyer who has been involved in successful negotiations on behalf of clients in many contract, strata and franchising matters. His practice covers a variety of clients including property development and building companies, strata companies and strata lot owners, franchisors and SME’s across a variety of industries.
His commercial dispute resolution experience ranges from small matters through to complex appellate court matters. He is adept at conducting all litigious matters through negotiation, mediation, arbitration and litigation in all Courts and Tribunals.
John’s core areas of expertise include:
- construction and building dispute resolution and negotiation;
- franchising and Australian Consumer Law advice;
- strata law advice;
- property development and real estate advice;
- commercial property advice;
- property settlements and conveyancing;
- insolvency processes and litigation; and
- family law.
Experience highlights include:
- Advising and assisting a national franchising client draft and update its franchise agreement, disclosure documents, code of conduct and dispute resolution strategy.
- Advising and assisting a national client negotiate and settle a down-stream fuel sale agreement valued at hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Assisting an international client resolve by negotiation a claim valued at hundreds of millions of dollars involving the operation of a crushing plant at a mine.
- Advising and assisting clients with contracts and dispute resolution involved in their purchase and development of land and the sale of mixed use high rise strata developments of over $300 million in value.
- Advising and assisting clients with the preparation of strata title requirements and the resolution of strata titles disputes.
In 2019 John’s firm Park Legal Solutions merged with Kott Gunning Lawyers. Prior to establishing Park Legal Solutions in 2005, John practised at Freehills (Perth and Sydney), and Slater & Gordon Lawyers (Sydney). Before practising law, John had diverse and successful careers in the Australian Army and the Australian Federal Police during which he developed good strategic and communication skills.
John regularly presents seminars and boardroom briefings on a variety of topics including strata and competition law issues.
- Law Society of Western Australia
- Strata Community Association WA