John has strong experience and skill in relation to advising in all aspects of commercial advice, franchising, strata titles, dispute resolution, litigation and contracting and construction.
His practice covers a variety of clients including property development and building companies, strata companies and strata proprietors, franchisors and SME’s across a variety of industries. His commercial dispute resolution experience ranges from small matters through to complex appellate court matters. He is adept at advising about and conducting all litigious matters through negotiation, mediation, arbitration and litigation in all Courts and Tribunals.
John’s core areas of expertise include:
- construction and building dispute resolution and negotiation;
- franchising and Australian Consumer Law advice;
- strata law advice;
- property development and real estate advice;
- commercial property advice; and
- insolvency processes and litigation.
Experience highlights include:
- Advising and assisting a national franchising client draft and update its franchise agreement, disclosure documents, code of conduct and dispute resolution strategy.
- Advising and assisting a national client negotiate and settle a down-stream fuel sale agreement valued at hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Assisting an international client resolve by negotiation a claim valued at hundreds of millions of dollars involving the operation of a crushing plant at a mine.
- Advising and assisting clients with contracts and dispute resolution involved in their purchase and development of land and the sale of mixed use high rise strata developments of over $300 million in value.
- Advising and assisting clients with the preparation of strata title requirements and the resolution of strata titles disputes.
In 2019 John’s firm Park Legal Solutions merged with Kott Gunning Lawyers. Prior to establishing Park Legal Solutions in 2005, John practised at Freehills (Perth and Sydney), and Slater & Gordon Lawyers (Sydney).
Before practising law, John had diverse and successful careers in the Australian Army and the Australian Federal Police during which he developed good leadership, strategic and communication skills.
- COVID-19 – The National Cabinet – The Emperor’s New Clothes (23 April 2020)
- COVID-19 – Quis custodiet ipsos custodies? Administrative Law and COVID-19 (23 April 2020)
- Honesty and Good Faith Changes the Strata Title Laws
- New Statutory Obligations on Strata – Will it Lead to Fewer Disagreements?
- What is Strata Titled Land and How is it Managed?
- Law Society of Western Australia
- Strata Community Association WA
- Fellow of the Australian Institute of Management
- Member of the Australian College of Strata Lawyers