High Court of Australia (1993)
Stephen is a Partner in the firm’s Insurance team. Since 1987 he his practiced almost exclusively in insurance law, and joined Kott Gunning in 2007 after being an insurance partner at Pynt & Partners and Freehills.
His practice covers a range of insurance related matters, acting almost exclusively for defendants (insurers and employers), principally in the workers’ compensation/ employers’ indemnity, CTP and public liability areas. Stephen also has an asbestos litigation practice and now is advising on silicosis claims arising out of the artificial stone industry.
Stephen has, for many years, been a member of the Australian Insurance Law Association (AILA), and served as a committee member, state chapter secretary and state chair. He also served on the national board, eventually becoming national vice president. He became a life member of AILA in 2019.
Stephen has been the firm’s deputy managing partner and managing partner. He retains a strong interest in legal practice management, having been a committee member of the WA branch of the Australian Legal Practice Management Association.
- Gosper -v- Pilbara Iron Company (Services) Pty Ltd  WADC 47
- Legislative Changes (COVID-19) – Effective 12 October 2020 – Worker’s Compensation and Injury Management Amendment (COVID-19 Response) Act 2020
- Know your hazards! Local Government found liable for failing to provide adequate visual clues marking the potential hazard
- Two Bites of the Cherry? Beasley -v- Fortescue Metals Group Ltd  WADC 118
- When The Sky (Or Ceiling) Falls In On You: Greenslade -v- Hiew  WADC 120
- Australian Insurance Law Association (awarded with Life Membership in 2019)
- Law Society of Western Australia
- Australian Legal Practice Management Association (WA)