Stephen is a partner in Kott Gunning’s Insurance and Risk practice group.
Since 1987 he has practiced almost exclusively in insurance law, and joined Kott Gunning in 2007 after being an insurance partner at Pynt & Partners and Freehills.
His practice covers a range of insurance related matters, almost exclusively for defendants (insurers and employers), principally in the workers’ compensation/ employers’ indemnity, CTP and public liability areas.
Stephen also has an asbestos litigation practice and now is advising on silicosis claims arising out of the artificial stone industry
Stephen’s clients include insurers, self-insurers and industrial and commercial corporations. His experience spans:
- Acting as instructing solicitor and appearing as counsel in trials in the District and Supreme Courts of Western Australia.
- Appearing as counsel in Coroner’s Court.
- Appearing as counsel in WorkSafe prosecutions.
- Acting as counsel in applications to the Workers’ Compensation Board, Conciliation & Review Directorate and Dispute Resolution Directorate of WorkCover WA and in appeals to the Compensation Magistrate’s Court.
- Acting for insurance companies on insurance claims.
- Acting for self-insurers and corporations on insurance claims, including risk management and serious incident investigation.
- Asbestos litigation.
- Formal mediation training.
Stephen has, for many years, been a member of the Australian Insurance Law Association (AILA), and served as a committee member, state chapter secretary and state chair. He also served on the national board, eventually becoming national vice president. He became a life member of AILA in 2019.
Stephen has served as the firm’s deputy managing partner and managing partner, overseeing the firm’s strategic re-brand over many years.
He retains a strong interest in legal practice management, having been a committee member of the Australian Legal Practice Management Association.
- Australian Insurance Law Association (awarded with Life Membership in 2019) (past National Vice President and past committee member of the WA branch (serving as chair from 2012 to 2013))
- Law Society of Western Australia
- Former Committee member of the Australian Legal Practice Management Association (WA Chapter)