Vidal has been a partner at Kott Gunning since 1985 and served as managing partner between 1997 and 2005.
Since 1985, Vidal has been either partner in charge or a senior member of the firm’s damages litigation, insurance and/or employment law and OSH teams. Most recently, however, Vidal’s practice has been primarily in the area of casualty/liability insurance, employers’ indemnity and workers’ compensation.
As a senior member of our team, much of Vidal’s work involves supervision, coaching, client and in-house training, consulting and collaboration. However, his practice has always been and continues to be very “hands on” with a high level of personal involvement in individual matters.
His clients include insurers, brokers, overseas underwriters, TPAs, local authorities, public and private companies and local businesses. Vidal is also a panel lawyer for the Law Society of Western Australia and is recognised in Doyles Guide.
In particular, Vidal:
- Acted for the Law Society of WA in relation to the establishment of the Limitation of Liability Scheme and in connection with the Law Mutual master policy review.
- Provides coverage advice and both provided advice and been involved in litigation involving contractual provisions relating to coverage obligations.
- Regularly advises clients on policy interpretation and has recently drafted policy extension endorsements for a major insurer.
- Consults with and advises clients on compliance processes.
- Practises extensively at all levels in workers’ compensation claims/litigation and common law personal injury damages claims.
- Practises extensively in public liability claims and litigation, has acted in relation to motor vehicle claims, involving both personal injury and property damage, and presently acts for RACQ Insurance in relation to motor vehicle injury claims in WA.
- Represented and advised both commercial and individual clients in relation to OSH compliance and prosecutions.
- Conducted litigation involving public liability, professional indemnity and directors’ and officers’ coverage issues.
Vidal is recognised in Doyles Guide as follows – Leading Workers Compensation Lawyers (Defendant) – Western Australia, 2017.
- Workers’ Compensation & Injury Management Amendment (Covid-19 Response) Bill 2020
- The Surprising Cost of a Piercing Noise – The Appeal
- How far does a party have to go in discovering all forms of electronic communications in court proceedings? (Juwi v DeGrussa)
- Case Summary – The Cerebral Palsy Association of WA v Papalia
- The Surprising Cost of a Piercing Noise – Insight From Hooker v Allied Pumps Pty Ltd (No. 2) (2018) WADC 129
- Law Society of Western Australia
- Australian Insurance Law Association of Australia
- Law Council of Australia